How to choose the best alcohol treatment
Alcohol dependence can be one of the most difficult substance abuse issues to treat. After all, alcohol is available in every state in the US, as well as at many venues, restaurants, social gatherings and outdoor events. Finding a way to handle your addiction to alcohol involves choosing the best alcohol treatment for your specific level of care.
Dealing with a Drinking Problem
The first step toward treatment and recovery is recognizing when your drinking has become problematic in your life. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, here are some indicators that treatment is needed to help you manage your drinking:
- You experience cravings for alcohol when you are not drinking.
- You are drinking more than usual, more often and it is interfering with your daily life.
- You have to drink more to get the intended effect.
- You go through withdrawals from alcohol when you do not drink.
At any period in your life, if you think you have a drinking problem, don’t hesitate to seek out the help of a professional. Make an appointment with your primary care physician or an addiction specialist. These professionals can diagnose you, provide you with a level of care, and refer you to a treatment facility.
Finding the Best Treatment Method
While thousands of people benefit from the 12-step program, others dealing with alcohol dependence are best suited for inpatient private rehab facilities. Once your addiction specialist provides you with a level of care you can better select the type of treatment to benefit you. As noted by the NIAAA, here are four categories of behavioral treatments for alcohol dependency:
- Brief interventions with a counselor or an intimate group
- e-Behavioral therapy used to identify cues that lead to relapse and help change these triggers to more positive processes
- Family and/or marital counseling that includes family members and/or spouses in the support group
- Motivational enhancement therapy features confidence boosting, skill development
For your individual treatment program your treatment advisor may use a variety of these treatment methods depending on the stage of your recovery.
Other Considerations for Treatment
As you go into recovery having the option of multiple treatment methods is crucial. You may benefit from brief interventions when you first go into treatment, while motivational enhancement therapy may serve you best at the final stages. Find a treatment facility that offers a wide range of services and programs so to ensure you are going to receive the best alcohol treatment.